Tow-in surfing code of conduct
The safe operation of watercraft in Queensland's waters is a priority for state and local government authorities, commercial operators, and sport and recreational organisations.
This code of conduct has been developed in consultation with Maritime Safety Queensland, Gold Coast City Council and Surfing Queensland to promote the safety of tow-in surfing operations.
Guidance is provided to tow-in surfing enthusiasts on a number of important safety aspects, including:
- General rules relating to proceeding at a safe speed, keeping a proper lookout and avoiding collision.
- Specific rules of operation for personal watercraft (PWC) in relation to speed and distance off requirements.
- Rules governing the operation of vessels in and near Gold Coast City Council bathing reserves.
- Requirements to be met to qualify for the tow-in surfing observer exemption.
- Specific requirements for tow-in surfing operations within Currumbin Alley and Tallebudgera Creek mouth.
Download the code of conduct.