Dunwich (Goompi) jetty—boating and fishing facility
Location: Harold Walker jetty, Dunwich (Goompi), North Stradbroke Island
Timing: Construction to commence early 2024
We are replacing the existing jetty structure at Dunwich (Goompi) on North Stradbroke Island. The 35-year-old jetty has been closed since June 2020 owing to corrosion issues.
In March 2021, the Queensland Government committed to funding a replacement facility for community use.
The feedback submissions received during the 2 rounds of community consultation in 2021 and 2022 have been reviewed and considered. From this, the project team has gained a greater understanding of the requirements of local users for a replacement facility.
- Improves safety
- Contributes to economy
- Accommodates family fishing separated from boating access
- Caters for community boating including occasional charter boat use
Following review of the community consultation, an updated concept was developed to address the need for a combination of a fishing platform and a gangway access pontoon at the Dunwich (Goompi) Junner Street jetty site.
The concept features construction of a new 10x4.5m fishing platform in the location of the existing jetty head, with the addition of a separate 12x4m pontoon (maximum allowable size for this location), being a single module with 2 piles and a 24m access gangway, which is required to achieve a 1:8 slope at low tides.
The fishing platform will include seating, a shaded area, and solar lighting.
- 15 November to 13 December 2021: community consultation period
- 4 April to 6 May 2022: second round of community consultation
- Mid-2022: initial tendering for detailed design and construction
- September 2023: re-tender for construction
- Early 2024: planned construction commences
- Mid-2024: works completion (weather permitting)