Commercial marine licences

If you want to work on a commercial vessel, you must hold an appropriate certificate of competency issued under the National System for Domestic Commercial Vessel Safety.

Domestic commercial vessels

By law, any person working as a certified crew member on a commercial vessel in Australia must hold the relevant certificate of competency. This ensures that people operating commercial vessels are competent and medically fit for their assigned tasks and areas of operation. For more information visit the Australian Maritime Safety Authority website

Queensland commercial vessels

A small group of commercial vessels only operating in Queensland waters are excluded from the national system. These commercial vessels are generally associated with surf lifesaving, schools and inland waterways. These operations will continue to be regulated under the Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Act 1994 (TOMSA). If you fall into this category, or you are unsure, please contact your local Maritime Safety Queensland regional office for further advice.

Other Navigation Act vessels

Seafarers can consider whether a certificate of competency or certificate of recognition under the Navigation Act 2012 (Nav Act) is more appropriate. Generally this would be appropriate for:

  • crew members on Australian ships operating under the Nav Act
  • holders of overseas qualifications wishing to work on Australian ships.

Get more information about Nav Act requirements. Submit your application to the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).

Change your licence details

Queensland and domestic commercial vessel licence details can be changed at any time through Maritime Safety Queensland by contacting your local Maritime Safety Queensland regional office.

For any Navigation Act enquiries, please contact the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).

Last updated
23 January 2023