Skip links and keyboard navigation


  • Commercial marine licences
    You need to have a commercial marine licence to operate a commercial vessel. Commercial vessels are generally those used for any business, trade, commerce, government or research activity. They can include fishing ships, tourist or charter boats, work boats, ferries, water taxis and dive boats.
  • Recreational marine licences
    You must have a marine licence to operate a boat that has an engine power greater than 4.5kW. In Queensland a boat (also known as a Queensland regulated ship) must only be used for recreational activities, or for school, surf lifesaving or community activities—not for business, trade or commerce. To operate a personal watercraft, you must have a recreational marine licence and a personal watercraft licence. 
Last updated
24 August 2017