Skip links and keyboard navigation


  • Commercial marine licences
    You need to have a commercial marine licence to operate a commercial vessel. Commercial vessels are generally those used for any business, trade, commerce, government or research activity. They can include fishing ships, tourist or charter boats, work boats, ferries, water taxis and dive boats.

  • Recreational marine licences
    A recreational marine driver licence (RMDL) is required to operate a recreational boat. If you operate a personal watercraft (for example a jet ski) you must also have a personal watercraft licence (PWCL). Recreational boats are those used only for recreational purposes and are not for any type of business, trade or commerce.

Last updated
16 April 2015